Monday, July 28, 2008

Diarrhea

It all started on Thursday dinner time. We've decided to try giving Tobey normal rice with soup, instead of softer food (another moronic parental decision on our part as he's teething, hello!!!). Because of his teething pain, he didn't want to chew and hence just swallow without breaking down the food. Then he vomited (that's how we realised he didn't chew). I suspected that upseted his digestive system and causes the subsequent diarrhea on that night. Whenever we gave him his usual formula, he suffered a bout of diarrhea, and at times vomited. The hot Summer weekend (up to 28 C) didn't help as well. It's normal for toddlers to have temporary Lactose Intolerance during these times. He was like that too when he was down with Rotavirus. So we swapped to soya based formula and gave him mushy food again. My MIL told me that there is a Chinese believe that Diarrhea happens during teething. Maybe lack of chewing is the cause.Hmmm... Soya milk smells really bad. Can't wait for him to be back to his usual formula.

On Friday night, Sk and I decided to have some takeaway kebab. The next day BOTH of us were down with diarrhea as well!!! It was horrid! I vomited till there wasn't a possibility for my body to have anymore liquid, then I vomited again! It was a task just to walk from the room to the loo, let alone look after an active toddler! But parental instinct kicked in and we managed somehow. I remember telling myself at 2 am on Sunday morning, when I needed to check on Tobey, "You can do this, just one step at a time, move your legs damn it!" That's another major disadvantage of not having family around. SK suggested maybe we should never eat the same food, just like pilots and his co-pilots ;P

Today, SK is back to normal, I am 90% there and Tobey is as normal but I will still put him on soya for a few more days, just to be sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh! Hope that everything is good and well now.