Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Smoked House

Today we went house-hunting again. One of the houses we viewed looked really promising from the advert. When we drove up to it, it looked really charming from the outside. It faces a huge park and is located in quite a posh location, which is within the catchment area of a primary school with fantastic Ofted reports (Grade 1s). However, the price was slightly lower than what is expected out of this area. We just thought that since the housing market is so bad now, this probably belongs to another desperate seller.

Once we stepped into the house. We knew the real reason.

It hit us like a slap in the face. The smell of stale cigarette smoke just enveloped us. At that point the estate agent rep said " I am not going to lie to you, this house does need a lot of renovation" He must have been kidding. It needed a complete rip-out-refit transformation!

The whole house has a tinge of yellow to it. I could see that the walls were not painted yellow, but of various other colours, but somehow it had a yellow coating to it. The ceiling, the 1960's carpet, the blinds, the window panes, even the air was yellow! It spelled years of enclosed smoking by someone that loved inhaling his own smoke back into his system. I nearly puked.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against smokers. Some of the closest person to me smokes. But at least he or she has the sense to make sure the house is well ventilated, the windows are opened before smoking or smoke outside of the house.

Me: What happened here???!!!
Estate agent rep (EAR): The previous owner smoked alot.
Me: Where is he now?
EAR: I am afraid he past away.
Me: What? Did he passed away in this house????!
EAR: No , he didn't

YEAH RIGHT!

Alarm bell started ringing in my head. "I got to get my boy out of here!"
So after just glancing at the ground floor, I excused myself and Tobey, saying that I just couldn't stand the smell. SK on the other hand, dared to venture upstairs as he could see the investment potential of this house. Let's just say, he could see beyond the yellow tinge. Also because his nose only works part-time.

So what if we managed to revamp the house with a completely new interior. Every time I smell (or think I smell) any ciggie smoke, I would definitely think that the previous owner is paying us a visit.

No thanks.

3 comments:

Tsu Lin + + said...

I understand how you feel about the smell. **pukes**

Melissa said...

Gosh! What an experience! A definite no-no!

chip-pea said...

@Tsulin:You know I can still remember the horrid smell till today..makes me feel like washing my hair!

@Melissa: Yes, it was such an eerie experience. For all we know, tht guy probably died and only discovered days later!!! (eeewwww)