Friday, June 06, 2008

...and two more days before Tobey's 1st Birthday Party

STRESS and anticipation sums it all up. It's all happening. We've started planning this party 2 weeks ago (and started thinking about it 3 months ago). We don't want to deprive Tobey of a traditional kiddy party for his 1st birthday. Both SK and I had one when we were...one. And so will he. Just because we are in a foreign land and couldn't share this occasion with the relatives closest to us, doesn't mean we can't still have one. BBQ, gazebo, helium balloons, homemade cupcakes...you get the picture. Even at this eleventh hour, I've still have not decided whether I should risk baking a number one cake for him or not. SK feels that we should just buy it. No can't do! was my answer repeatedly. My train of thoughts as I type this include..

"He loves Tigger, If I were to iced the cake in Tigger's stripes (orange and black), will he think that we are cutting into and eating his favorite character?? Will that scar him for life?"

"...was it 3/4 cup of carnation evaporated milk, or was it 1 whole cup....how many gram is one cup...THAT cup is in Malaysia. I knew I should have packed that cup in the suitcase...Arrgh"

I hope I don't fall flat at the end, as a result of my stubborn streak and ruin my son's party. Here's hoping and praying for things to work out right and well.

6 comments:

Tsu Lin + + said...

What cup are you talking about??

Anyway, don't worry too much. The main point is that the birthday boy has lots of fun!

Happy 1st biiiiirthdayy Tobey!

chip-pea said...

It's a white teacup that I used in this chocolate cake recipe. It was my way of measurement during my student days. Sigh, that's why the weighing machine is created I suppose. To avoid ppl like me from hanging on to a teacup.

Tsu Lin + + said...

Oh dear.. but if you use just any teacup, you would get the same consistency for the recipe, correct? Ie, 4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 cup of butter? It's a minor inconsistency when you have egss involved (unless the recipe says to measure egss in cups too). Anyway, I think it's only small deviation (maybe that is why I can't bake).

chip-pea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chip-pea said...

@Tsulin: Unfortunately, the butter and eggs not measured by teacup. BUT, all is not lost...I've found a conversion tool that tells me that a teacup is 3/4 of a cup.So with that I shall proceed. You'll know the outcome tomorrow ;P

Praveen said...

Happy Birthday Tobey!

I hope you get a Tigger cake. I would second the idea to just buy it, but as they say - moms always know what's best =)