Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ikea and Asda




SK went for his weekly badminton session with my bro-in-law last night. me? I went to my earthly heaven...Ikea. Best of all, I can shop for 2 hours all by myself and without some impatient male presence waiting to get out of his version of hell. Thank God for their 10pm weekday closing time. Once inside, I felt like a kid in toys 'R us.

I went straight to the Market Hall to browse throught every section. Then I made a second round to grab what I wanted from the 1st round of browsing. I tried very very hard to only buy what I needed . So I needed a poster for the blank wall in the lounge, got that, a bathroom mat, got that *goody-goody me for being practical* , a spray can, needed for my indoor plants' foliage, and a bamboo plant...shhhhhh. You see, SO in-control right?

Well, let you in on a secret, there was actually another poster 70cm x 100cm frame, matching picture, a bonsai plant and a set of curtains in my shopping bag before heading for the check-out, but I gave up half-way, stupid me for not getting a shopping cart, as the big yellow Ikea bag strap was eating into my shoulder. It was a painful way for my sensible side to kick-in, but it did nevertheless...I off-loaded what I don't need, or could live without and escaped with only a slight dent. It felt victorious!

By the end of that 2 hours, I had another hour to kill before I get picked up, so I visited Ikea's neighbour, the huge Asda/Wal-Mart. It was a 24 hours superstore and oh boy! they even have a section selling wholesale sized packs of lentils for curry and dhal making...first for me, as these stuff are usually found in Asian shops in your local 'little India' dotted throughout the UK. They also stock roti canai!!! (Roti Pratha). Again, this is news!

Anyway, by the end of the evening, I was extremely tired but satisfied.

No comments: