Saturday, August 26, 2006

Disaster and Delight

The other evening, I felt like cooking up a storm for dinner. Well, not exactly a feast, especially after a ..umm..'hard day's work'. Anyway, it was suppose to be spring onion and ginger lamb and mushroom prawn.

So I chopped and sliced......




Then, I painstakingly sliced the meat off half a lamb shoulder. The almighty light bulb came on.. 'Hmmm...maybe I can TENDErise this....' I read in a food blog that sodium bicarbonate (the one use for baking) would do the trick! Using my usual sledgehammer style (according to SK), I just add in the amount I felt was right. It was about 5 teaspoons...I figured it should be the same amount, as if adding flour...so I marinated it for 15 mins, then it started to smell funny...something was wrong, so I rinsed the meat under running water again and again...

I started cooking...stir-fried the ginger, garlic and the white- of the spring onion, then added the lamb pieces...it started to FOAM!!!! I can't believe my eyes, it was foaming off the wok!...when it's ready...I tasted it ,and it tasted nothing like lamb, but like some jelly!...yukk!!!!! anyway, it was to the bin....$%^&**...an hour lost just because of my stupidity. I went online and found out that I am suppose to add something like HALF a teaspoon of that potent stuff into the meat.....well, lesson learnt the hard way...

But thank God for prawns...it didn't need any sort of tenderising...



Sigh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those prawns look wonderfully bursty!

chip-pea said...

Thanks tpf!