Saturday, January 23, 2010

Settling-in

There were 3 "settling-in-sessions" this week at nursery.

Tuesday- We were there for about 45 minutes. I filled in some forms and he explored the new toys and activities. I was given a list of things to be packed into his bag.He was reluctant to leave.

Wednesday-Bag all packed (spare clothes, nappies for poo-poo, hat, gloves, wellies, handphone (kidding), muslin cloth and water tumbler). Tobey double-checked to see that his muslin cloth and water tumbler is in before leaving. He loves wearing it. Kept saying "My going School, this my bag".

I was with him for 10 mins then made my exit. I told him that I am going to the supermarket opposite to do some shopping and will be back very soon to pick him up. At first, he whispered "Mummy stay here, sit-down next my". I told him that Ian (his key person) would be looking after him and pointed out at all the fresh paint readily available for painting. He went to the paint straight away. I was told me to come back after 45 mins. I went to the cafe in the supermarket, bought newspaper and some overpriced tea and was prepared to read in peace. Surprisingly, 2 of my friends were there too (they just came back from shopping and waiting to pick up their older kids from school), so I ended up chatting with them and looking at their purchases. Newspaper untouched.

When I went back, all the kids were all wrapped up and was playing at the nursery's playground. Ian told me that he didn't even ask for me. It took me another 10 mins to persuade him to go home.

Friday - 5 mins after bringing him in. I was told to exit for 1 hr 30 mins. Tobey said "No , mummy stay". Ouch! heart pain :( I pointed at all the soft play dough they just made and he said "kay" to me leaving. I went and bought some stuff, cooked dinner and tried to make some calls. I missed my boy. When I went to pick him up, I was told he was fine for the first hour. Then when the children and adults set-up the tables for teatime, he started crying and asked for me. Ian quickly got him his muslin cloth and tumbler. He calmed down. When I went to him, his face lighted up and he was seated with other kids around a table having his toast with butter and jam. His face was all red from all the crying. After making sure he hasn't got a temperature, I asked him why he cried he said "my tummy pain, my cry". He didn't ask to go for a wee at all. When we got home, he went for a big wee. So, I figured, he wasn't comfortable to ask to go for a wee in a new surrounding. Hence, he held it in until his tummy hurts.

So this coming Monday morning would be his first official session. Just Monday morning for now. He asked for his bag today so that he can go to school. I'll put a nappy on him then, until he's used to the place.

5 comments:

Roslyn said...

Tobey has done really well!

chip-pea said...

Thanks Roslyn. I was expecting him to drag my feet and cry, but it wasn't as dramatic. Thank God :)

Anonymous said...

All these are to be expected. He is doing very well. Well done, Mummy!

chip-pea said...

Thanks Siew :)

Tsu Lin + + said...

Awww... he really did well in school. You must be proud.