Thursday, December 01, 2005

That Time In The Officer's Car.....

Today, a new collegue, L, started at my work place, she is lovely and we chatted the whole work day. The usuals , the common obstacles we both face being a foreigner, our family, culture...the works. Since we live around the same area, she suggested that we travel in the same car and share the fuel cost. I was totally for it! as it saves my husband having to drop me off at work each morning (which I am ever so thankful with a tinge of guilt). We'll just have to work out the new hours with the manager. She offered to give me a leave home after work (as we both finish about 5pm today) just to see where I live. Better for me, as the great British weather totally gave up on Northampton today.

On the way home, we happily chatted and laughed...all of a sudden we noticed a police car tailing us at the back. I told L to move onto the other lane as the police need to chase after someone ahead of us . L didn't, instead , she slowed down, so that it can overtake us, but despite leaving plenty of gap enough to fit a truck, it was still behind us! Then it dawned upon us that he wanted US! not any others but US! Two perfectly innocent law abiding road user...not.

We stopped and got out, felt so surreal, the blue strobe light blinded our sight, we were up close and personal with the famous yellow flourescent stripes of the police car. The police officer approached L and told her that her car's tax disc has expired. He asked us to get into his car, me at the back and L at the front and started questioning us politely. Admist all the questioning, L started to panic, as for me , I was savouring EVERY MOMENT of it! I mean how often will one get into a British Police car??? I gave all my info in detail as fast as I could, even offering my postcode when not asked, so that he don't have to bug me whilst I take in all that was around me. I saw the gun, the baton, the cuffs, the Hi-Tech screen in front of him, the panel of buttons which was labelled 'spotted light' and such, the 'code' words he exchanged through the walkie-talkie such as 'scribble' and 'non-white female' and the oh so cool 'ROGER' and 'OVER' to his collegue, on the quick response he got from the immigration officer at the other end of the phone on our status, stacks of paperwork labelled 'Vehicle most wanted' and ' Warrant' and 'Operation training'....woohooo....FANTASTIC! I even handed the police officer his file from the back seat containing his summon booklet! Police admin work!!!

Oh, L got fined £120, £60 for driving on a non-UK license and £60 for having an expired tax disc. We couldn't use the car to get home, as it would be a risk of being caught AGAIN. Thankfully, our manager came to our rescue and got us home in time for me to cook dinner and relate my mini adventure to my husband....of course my husband objected me car-pooling with her as he thinks that it's not safe. No way, I crave for more....

1 comment:

Tsu Lin + + said...

Gosh, the first ride home in her car turned into a joyride!

Well, I hope she will sort out her licence and what-not, if not.. not a good idea to car pool with her.