Sunday, April 02, 2006

Marble Cake Ramblings


Errm.. I was convinced that my baking skill was down the drain...until now!!!

Hubby: Wow, dear, this is the best cake you baked for...hmm..let's see, for the last 5 years...almost better than the chocolate cake you used to lure me with into marrying you.

Me: Idiot.

Seriously, I use to bake using the 'cup' system...1 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/4 cup sugar...and it was perfect every time..until I came to UK and forgotten to bring my precious cup. So for the last few years, I have been pridefully insisting on measuring baking ingredients using cups and not by grammes! Of course.... each attempt was disastrous as every cup is not THE cup..too soggy, like 'kuih', mediocre...I blamed everything, the flour in UK is rubbish lar, the oven(s) don't work properly lar...everything but pride!

Today I gave up looking for the perfect cup...I used the bloody measuring gadget..and actually followed a recipe (thanks Amy Beh) and it turned out fine. Well, I guess there must be a good reason for almost every household to own a measuring jug or some sort of weighing machine. Oh well, life !

1 comment:

chip-pea said...

Long time never bake chocolate cake already, will try one of these days ;)